April 16, 2023
A Starting Point:
The Christian Faith requires a basic foundation – and that is belief in the Bible.
Christians believe that the Bible IS of Divine origin; that it contains ultimate truth; that it is valid; that it CAN stand up to scrutiny as an authentic historically accurate document.
All your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal.
Psalm 119:160 (NIV)
The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever.
Isaiah 40:8 (NASB)
For the word of God is living and active.
Hebrews 4:12 (NIV)
… the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe.
1 Thessalonians 2:13 (NASB1995)
Sanctify them in the truth. Your word is truth
– Jesus praying to the Father
John 17:17 (NASB1995)
Isn’t the Bible full of myths, legends and contradictions?
Therefore, it can’t be trusted as a reliable document, right?
4 Evidences of the Bible’s Reliability
1. There are no “missing” gospels that were left out of the New Testament.
2. The New Testament includes historical facts not known outside of its writing, but later discovered to be true.
3. Archeology has validated the credibility of the Bible in astounding ways.
QUOTE: In fact, archeologist Dr. Nelson Glueck, probably the greatest modern authority on ancient Israel, wrote “No archeological discovery has ever controverted a biblical reference." (McFarland, 92)
4. The gospel writings are too critical of their leaders to be legend.
The Most Convincing Evidence – Experiencing the Word of God
16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.
17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NLT)